The International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2014) will be held in London, UK on 8-11th December 2014 and all professionals working in the Cloud Computing field are urged to attend. UCC is the premier IEEE/ACM conference covering all areas related to Cloud Computing as a Utility. This will be the 7th successful running of the conference in a series that included events in Shanghai, China (Cloud 2009), Melbourne, Australia (Cloud 2010 & UCC 2011), Chennai, India (UCC 2010), Chicago, USA (UCC 2012) and Dresden, Germany (UCC 2013.
The conference will include keynote speeches from industry and academic leaders, numerous workshops to help attendees learn from experiences of others and tutorial presentations arranged into concurrent streams. In addition there is a doctoral symposium, a cloud challenge competition and an industry specific stream of presentations. The acceptance rate for papers submitted to the conference is only 19% ensuring a high quality programme.
The conference will held at an attractive London location just 15 minutes from Heathrow and convenient for tube and train connections. The Hilton London Paddington hotel is a high class venue offering excellent facilities as well as easy access to the sights and attractions of London.
Keynote and plenary sessions
- Cloud Native Cost Optimization: Adrian Cockcroft, Battery Ventures (prev. Netflix, eBay, Sun)
- A Few Control Issues in Warehouse-scale Computing: John Wilkes, Google
- Rack-Scale Computers and the Cloud: Ant Rowstron, Microsoft
- Joe Baguley, Chief Technology Officer, EMEA, VMware
- Professor Yike Guo, Imperial College London
- Actors in the Cloud: Supporting Security, Scalability and Availability , Professor Gul Agha, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Enabling Cloud Computing at Hyper-Scale: Dr. Kenji Takeda, Microsoft
- Clinical Intelligence & Integration: Tackling Large Data Analytics in Real-Time, Oliver Vettel and Andreas Koop, Roche
Panel Discussion: How adaptive should our infrastructure (networks, data centres etc.) be to support next generation Clouds?
- Alan Sill; Open Grid Forum (OGF)
- Joe Baguley; VMWare
- John Wilken; Google
- Prof. Erik Elmroth; Umeå University (UMU)
- Prof. Gul Agha; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Azure Machine Learning for Research, Kenji Takeda
- Model-Driven Management of Multi-Cloud Applications, Danilo Ardagna
- The Intercloud Architecture and Project, David R. Bernstein
- Distributed Data Storage: From Dispersed Files to Stealth Databases, Josef Spillner, Johannes Müller,
- Software Development in Cloud: An Experiential Study with CMS, Chandra Sekaran K,
- Data Analysis with R, Shruti Kohli, Shruti Kohli
- Microsoft Azure for Research, Kenji Takeda
- Autonomic Clouds, Omer Rana and Manish Parashar, Omer F. Rana
- Help Clinical Intelligence take the next step using state-of-the art in-memory analytics, Oliver Vettel and Andreas Koop
- CRISTAL : Designing Traceable Cloud-based Systems, Richard McClatchey, Andrew Branson
UCC 2014 Workshops
- International Symposium on Big Data Computing 2014 – BDC 2014
- 6th Cloud Control Workshop – CloudControl6
- Cloud Federation Management: Identity, Resources and Applications Workshop – CFM 2014
- Workshops on Standards and Pre-Standards Topics in Clouds, Big Data and Data Analytics – SCBDA 2014
- ITaaU Network+ Symposium – ITaaU 2014
- Clouds and eScience Applications Management Workshop – CloudAM 2014
- Crowdsourcing and Gamification in the Cloud Workshop – CGCloud 2014
- Re-computability in the Cloud Workshop – Re-computability 2014
- Advances in CC Legislation, Accountability, Security and Privacy Workshop – CLASP 2014
- Trust in Cloud Computing Workshop – IWTCC 2014
- Green Cloud Computing Workshop – GCC 2014
- Smart City Clouds: Technologies, Systems and Applications Workshop – SCCTSA 2014
- Cloud Automation, Intelligent Management and Scalability Workshop – CAIMS 2014
- Cyber-physical Cloud Computing Workshop – CPCC 2014
- Network Virtualization and SDN for Cloud Data Centres Workshop
- Big Data, Intelligence Management and Analytics Workshop – BDIMA
- Big Data and Social Networking Management and Security Workshop
- Education in the Cloud Workshop – EC 2014
Cloud Challenge is a competition where participants develop solutions for real-world problems by utilizing virtualization technologies and Cloud computing. UCC 2014 will have selected the following application after an intense review of the submitted proposals.
- An Experimental Tool for Elasticity Management Through Prediction Mechanisms Bruno A. Rosa, Vinícius A. Frederico, Luiz F. Bittencourt, Marcelo B. Pereira and Kayo S. Hisatomi.
- Optimizing Scientific Workflows in the Cloud: A Montage Example Qingye Jiang, Alberto Gutierrez, Young Choon Lee, Manuel Arenaz, Luke M. Leslie and Albert Y. Zomaya.
- Low Cost Energy Forecasting for SmartGrids using StreamMine3G and Amazon EC2 André Martin, Andrey Brito and Christof Fetzer.
- Energy Cloud: real-time cloud-native Energy Management System to monitor and analyse energy consumption in multiple industrial sites Hugo Sequeira, Paulo Carreira, Thomas Goldschmidt and Philipp Vorst.
The goal of the Doctoral Symposium is to provide a supportive and shepherding environment in which PhD students can present their research proposal and attend UCC. Students will be able to discuss their research objectives, methods and approach and results at various stages of their research. The aim is to solicit feedback on their research from well-established researchers and attendees. We have selected the following papers for the UCC 2014 Doctoral Symposium.
- Re-engineering the Database Layer of Legacy Applications for Scalable Cloud Deployment D1. Martyn Ellison, Radu Calinescu and Richard Paige.
- Truesource: A True Performance For Hierarchical Cloud Monitoring D2. Adam Currie, Aaron McConnell, Gerard Parr, Sally McClean and Kashaf Khan.
- Sustainable Communications Infrastructures in the Cloud – Supporting the Information Economy D3. Conor McBay, Gerard Parr and Sally McClean.
- Secret sharing scheme for data confidentiality preserving in a public-private hybrid cloud storage approach D4. Butoi Alexandru and Nicolae Tomai.
- Scalable Analytic Models for Performance Efficiency in the Cloud D5. Awada Uchechukwu, Keqiu Li and Keqin Li.
- Virtualization Security using Mandatory Access Control and Virtual Machine Introspection D6. Thu Yein Win, Huaglory Tianfield and Quentin Mair.
- Energy-aware Virtual Machine Consolidation for Cloud Data Centers D7. Dabiah Alboaneen, Bernardi Pranggono and Huaglory Tianfield.
- SLA Assured Brokering (SAB) and CSP Certification in Cloud Computing D8. Shyam S. Wagle.
- CloudAdvisor – A Framework Towards Assessing Trustworthiness and Transparency of Cloud Providers D9. Mohammed Almanea.
UCC2014 Industry Session Overview
The aim of this day is to share a range of stimulating perspectives on what we understand by the digital economy. Already we have seen a disruptive change in the way that infrastructure hosts, service providers and users are finding new ways to do business. Whilst the flexibility and scalability has radically changed how business organisations can emerge and grow, there are many further questions to be identified and addressed about governance, regulation and even reporting. Notable speakers are participating from VMWare, Microsoft Research and Google.
The Hilton London Paddington hotel is conveniently located 15 minutes from Heathrow Airport and connected by footbridge to Paddington Station. With four London Underground lines—Circle, Hammersmith & City, District, and Bakerloo—linked to the station, this is one of London’s best connected hotels. Over 150 years of history have made this hotel a legend. It’s located in the heart of the city and is within walking distance of London’s premier attractions.
This grand Victorian hotel offers a full range of modern facilities. Catch up with work in the business center or keep in touch with colleagues in the Executive Lounge. Enjoy the diverse menu and continental influences of the celebrated Brasserie Restaurant. The chic Steam Bar provides the perfect place for dinner or a late night drink, with sleek decor, a contemporary feel, and a relaxed atmosphere.
UCC 2014 Registration
To register please visit: http://www.derby.ac.uk/enterprisecentre/events/ucc/book/
Early Bird Registration Deadline: 29 October 2014
If you have any questions about the conference registration then please contact Jo Atkinson +44 (0)1332 597842 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chairs and Committees
- Nikos Antonopoulos, University of Derby, UK
- Omer F. Rana, Cardiff University, UK (email@example.com)
Programme Committee Chairs
- Shrideep Pallickara, Colorado State University, USA
- Chunming Rong, University of Stavanger, Norway
- Ashiq Anjum, University of Derby, UK (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Josef Spillner, TU Dresden, Germany
- Steve Brewer, University of Southampton, UK — Network Coordinator for the RCUK Digital Economy ITaaU Network+
- Sushil K. Prasad, Georgia State University, USA
- David Wallom, University of Oxford, UK
Cloud Challenge 2014 Chair
- Ivona Brandić, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
- Rajkumar Buyya, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Nik Bessis, University of Derby, UK
- Lee Gillam, University of Surrey, UK
- Ivan Rodero, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, USA
- Ryan Ko, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Dana Petcu, West University of Timisoara, Romania
- Lu Liu, University of Derby, UK
- Bo Li, Beihang University, China
PhD Symposium Chair
- Rami Bahsoon, The University of Birmingham, UK
- Khalid Elgazzar, Queen’s University, Kingston, Canada
- George Papadopolous, University of Cyprus, Cyprus
- Richard Hill, University of Derby, UK
ACM, ACM SIGARCH, IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Cloud Computing Initiative (CCI), IEEE Computer Society IEEE Technical Committee on Scalable Computing (TCSC), ITaaU Network, Melbourne Clouds Lab, CENTRIC (Center of Excellence in Terrorism, Resilience, Intelligence and Organized Crime Research), University of Derby, Cardiff University, IEEE Computer Society Special Technical Committee for Cloud Computing (CS STC CC), IEEE Special Technical Committee for Sustainable Computing (STC SC).