Cloud for Video Streams Analysis
- Funded Body: XAD Communications ltd (2012-2014)
- Dr. Ashiq Anjum (Knowledge Base Supervisor) / Prof Nik Bessis (Lead Academic)
- The project aims to develop a cloud computing based solution for robust and high throughput analysis of video streams for security, surveillance and object tracking.
HECloud: A Green Cloud Platform for Higher Education, Sino-UK Higher Education Research Partnership for PhD Studies
- Funding body: UK Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), Welsh and Scottish Governments, and China Ministry of Education (MoE) (2012-2014)
- Dr Lu Liu/Prof Nick Antonopoulos
- This is an international research collaboration project between University of Derby (UK), Tongji University (China), Beihang University (China) and Jiangsu University (China). The focus of the research is the international development and application of secure, sustainable approaches to the provision of Cloud Computing for large scale IT systems. The aims of the project are to investigate the potential impact of Cloud Computing for HE and design a novel energy-saving virtualisation architecture for sustainable Cloud computing.
- Funded Body: JISC (2012-2013)
- Dr. Richard Hill and Dr. Victoria Carpenter
- The project is collaboration with University of Nottingham (lead partner). The project will provide a unique opportunity to invest in the region and build on innovative business engagement successes: developing existing and growing new networks using a combination of established online tools and cutting-edge technologies.
Internet of Things and Future Internet
- Funded Body: UNITE, EU (2011 – 2012)
- Professor Nik Bessis
- Nik and DISYS have now been awarded as a Host Institution which enables researchers from Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia to be awarded a paid research secondment to spend at the DISYS research group and research on a specific area of the Internet of Things and Future Internet. These paid visiting secondments are worth of €1250 per month for up to 12 months each.
Customer Insight Project
- Funding Body: Futures Housing Group (2010 – 2012)
- Dave Voorhis (Knowledge Base Supervisor) / Dr John Dakin (Lead Academic)
- Futures Housing Group is a social housing organisation with a goal of providing affordable housing for tenants in Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Nottinghamshire. The Customer Insight Project is an 18 month Knowledge Transfer Partnership between Futures Housing and the University of Derby that seeks to develop improved insight into the lives of Futures Housing’s tenants in order to improve their quality of life and social wellbeing through more efficient and relevant service delivery.
Computer Games Intervention with Mucus Clearing Devices for Cystic Fibrosis
- Funding Bodies: EU Regional Development Fund and East Midlands Development Agency (2010 – 2012)
- Dr. David Day and Dr. Andreas Oikonomou
- This aim of this project is to design, create, and evaluate a suitable interface, i.e. game control based on a popular sputum clearance device with an air pressure sensor to interface with the console/PC, and a series of custom designed games, which utilise the latest games technologies and development tools to encourage young cystic fibrosis patients to engage in physiotherapy.
Multiscale Spatiotemporal Visualisation
- Funding Body: EU, FP7 (2009 – 2012)
- Professor Nik Bessis
- Part of an international consortium for co-investigating the development of an open source library for the visualisation and interaction with multi-scale biomedical data. Nik is driving the activity of the identification of the best practice methodologies and patterns activity and, by the means of exploration and discussion suggests the use of applicable state-of-the-art technologies for adoption during the development phase.