College: Engineering and Technology
Department: Department of Electronics, Computing and Maths
Teaching Subject Area: Senior Lecturer in Analytics and Governance
Research Group: Research Fellow – Big Data Laboratory
My teaching is on the BSc IT programme with a primary focus on the fields of Analytics and Governance. I also teach Study and Employability skills
I lead a module for the second year called IT Services Management which is all about how to design and implement services that are useful to the customers and users.
The School of Computing and Maths is focussing the BSc IT around the SAS products and practical analytics. As a result, I teach some students how to use SAS.
I also teach the Sustainable Information and Corporate Governance module for the third year which is closely related to the paper that I presented in Toronto in October 2012, see here for the details and a copy of it.
During the Autumn Semester of 2015, I assisted Dennis Parkes to re-develop the Emerging IT Product Development module to take advantage of the IBM Bluemix and Watson Analytics product set, which is also taught in our partner institution, the British American College in Dhaka, Bangladesh. See here for the videos of the seminars
Videos of all my 2014 / 2015 and 2015 / 2016 lectures, seminars, tutorials and workshops can be seen here. I am currently recording them each week and posting them on the Computing @Derby YouTube channel.
I also supervise a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations and have supervised PhD students including topics such as e-learning, knowledge management and management practices in local government in Jordan.
- 2010 – Sharon Wei Wei Goh – The use of Web 2.0 technologies in developing and enhancing students’ critical thinking skills in higher education : a qualitative study
- 2010 – A A Y Ali Bin Sultan – Assessing Excellence And Barriers Of Formulation Strategic Plan: Case study: Dubai Government strategic plan, U.A.E
- 2011 – Mohammad AllMhairat – Evaluation of the Impacts of New Public Management Practices on Human Resource Planning in Local Governments in Jordan
- 2012 – R Thompson – Exploring Determinants of Entrepreneurial Performance: Example of Entrepreneurs in Malawi
- 2015 – L Crane – Knowledge and Discourse Matters: Locating EUREKA
My current research interests are focussed in two directions; towards the pedagogy relating to the development of transferable and employability skills and the practical use of information technology in a wide range of contexts.
- The ongoing pedagogy research is leading to different approaches to the design of the teaching and assessment of transferable skills which are more effective than traditional approaches.
- I am researching ways of helping students to develop more effective research skills through different ways of teaching. I am currently assessing the impact of small group lab based teaching where all students have full access to all e-resources, using seminars and workshops
- I am developing what appears to be a much more effective way of using the scheduled contact time with students. It relies on the “Academic as Learning to Learn expert”, rather than the more traditional “Academic as Domain Expert” approach, see “My Journey towards Student Excellence“. It is based on the research and problem based approach to learning, supplemented with using most of the scheduled contact time for one-to-one discussions, review and feedback and feed-forward. One result has been a significant increase in the marks achieved and also the elimination of the BMEI grade deficit that is problematic for UK universities. My Keynote Address to the IJAS conference in Toronto 2014, see this link to the video of the address below.
- As part of the drive towards developing employability skills in our students, the outputs for many of the modules that I teach are publishable articles in a set of e-journals on our OJS, at this link, where we have started with some of the first of our e-journals, most of which are edited by the students themselves. We also publish some of the best presentations on our YouTube Channel, such as this playlist for the Emerging IT Product Developments module.
- My informatics and analytics interests are focussed towards all aspects relating to Information and Corporate Governance.
- My new Big Data Analytics series of projects for students will investigate the degree to which we can trust and gain value from location data collected through Smart Devices and the Internet of Things. This is a crucial field in business, where crowd sourcing of location data is being developed. It is also of importance in criminal forensics and Law. Based on the data and analyses of my students, we have become recognised as a leading authority on the accuracy of Assisted GPS Location Services of smart phones. I have presented the conclusions and implications at several conferences during 2015, as can be seen below.
- A previous key area was a project to evaluate the phenomenon of TechnoStress. About fifteen of my third year students have recently completed working with me on this project. The conference paper that I published in Salamanca in July 2012, based on the research of Conrad Aquilina for his MSc SITM dissertation, was the starting point for this research.
This section links to the work that I and my students are working on and provides links to some of the best dissertation projects that they have produced.
2014 IBM Faculty Award of $2500
2015 IBM Faculty Award of $10,000
2016 IBM Faculty Award of $10,000
Membership of professional bodies and advisory committees
I am a member of the editorial board for the International Journal of Learning Technology
I am a member of the review panel for the International Journal of Web Engineering and Technology
Member of the programme committees for the KMO’12 and LTEC’12 conferences in Salamanca, Spain in May 2012 (Seventh International Knowledge Management in Organizations Conference and Workshop on Learning Technology for Education in Cloud)
Member of the programme committee for the KMO’13 conference in Kaohsiung, Taiwan in September 2013 (Eighth International Knowledge Management in Organizations Conference)
Member of the programme committees for the LTEC 2014 and KMO 2014 conferences in Santiago, Chile in September 2014 (3rd International Workshop on Learning Technology for Education in Cloud and 9th International Knowledge Management in Organizations Conference)
Member of the programme committees for the LTEC 2015 and KMO 2015 conferences in Maribor, Slovenia (4th International Workshop on Learning Technology for Education in Cloud and 10th International Knowledge Management in Organizations Conference)
Programme Committee member for the BDA EdCon Europe 2015 Conference in Istanbul, July 2015.
Member of the Operational Database Management Systems (ODBMS) panel of experts, with a focus on the Governance of such systems.
Recent Conference Papers
- An evaluation of the ICT skills deficit of Generation Y students and the required remedial approaches in relation to effective learning and communication, International Journal of Arts and Sciences, May 2010, Toronto, Canada
- A Case Study into ICT Skills Transfer in Generation Y Students in Higher Education, HEA-ICS Workshop for e-Learning, June 2010, Greenwich, UK, refereed and published in workshop proceedings
- Policy Development and Implementation in the Bretton Woods Institutions: A Consideration of the Legality, Human Rights Impact and Effectiveness of their Programmes, International Journal of Arts and Sciences, May 2011, Toronto, Canada, published in the IJAS journal Vol 4, No 23, ISSN:1944-6934 see working copy here Richard J Self IJAS Toronto May 2011
- Discourse and Knowledge Matters: Can Knowledge Management Be Saved?, 7th International Conference on Knowledge Management in Organisations: Service and Cloud Computing; Salamanca, Spain, July 12, 2012, Lead Author Lesley Crane, co-authors David Longbottom, Richard Self, see http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-30867-3_4
- TechnoStress in the 21st Century; Does it Still Exist and How Does it Affect Knowledge Management and Other Information Systems Initiatives, 7th International Conference on Knowledge Management in Organisations: Service and Cloud Computing; Salamanca, Spain, July 12, 2012, co-author: Conrad Aquilina.
- A consideration of the next generation of PRI and ESG measures and indices for the sustainable corporation derived from the optimisation of shared stakeholder value, PRI-CBERN Academic Network Conference, York University, Toronto, October 3, 2012, co-Authors: Kiri Self, Ha-Joon Chang
- Combining Digital Forensic Practices and Database Analysis as an Anti-Money Laundering Strategy for Financial Institutions, 1st International Workshop on Cybercrimes and Emerging Web Environments (CEWE-2012), conj.with the 3rd International Conference on Emerging Intelligent Data and Web Technologies (EIDWT-2012), Bucharest, Romania. September 19 – 21, 2012, Authors:Denys A. Flores, Dr Olga Angelopoulou, Richard J Self (presented by Dr Angelopoulou)
- An Anti-Money Laundering Methodology: Financial Regulations, Information Security and Digital Forensics Working Together, Journal of Internet Services and Information Security, February 2013, Authors: Denys A. Flores, Dr Olga Angelopoulou, Richard J Self
- Students Can do Research and Can Deliver Strong Bibliographies!, International Journal of Arts and Sciences, Toronto, Canada, May 2013, Volume 06, Number 04, pp 247–259, ISSN:1944-6934
- Novel Approaches to Learning and Teaching SAS-based Analytics, IBM Big Data Analytics EdCon, Las Vegas, November 2-3, 2013, co-author: Dave Voorhis. See also the full paper Novel Approaches to Learning and Teaching SAS based Analytics. See the presentation at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06UpMm3ra6U. See all the presentations at this link http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdZVIx65ufDnYJSooTNuUeA
- Visual Analytics deliverers insights into the UK University League Table, SAS Global Forum 2014, Washington DC, March 24-26, 2014, Co-Authors: S Berry, C Foyle and D Voorhis.
- Inspiring and Delivering Outstanding Student Excellence, Keynote Address at International Journal of Arts and Sciences Conference, Toronto, Canada, May 2014, to be published as a full article in the IJAS. The video of it is here.
- Impact of the “12 Vs” of Big Data on Questions of Ethics, Trust, Stewardship and Governance of Analytics. SAS Analytics 2014, Frankfurt, 5 June 2014 as an invited speaker. A presentation that links the concept of students learning by research and the opportunities for collaboration between analytics providers and consultants, users and educationalists to solve the Analytics skills shortage. This is a short interview about the presentation.
- Using SAS® for Research, Learning SAS, Developing Insights, Developing a Community of Practice, SAS Professionals Convention, Marlow, UK, 24 June 2014.
- BIG DATA ANALYTICS: a threat or an opportunity for Knowledge Management?, 9th International Conference on Knowledge Management in Organisations: Service and Cloud Computing; Santiago, Chile, 5 Sept 2014, ISSN 1865-1348, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-08618-7, pp25-34, Lead Author Lesley Crane, co-author Richard Self, see R J Self KMO14 Presentation for the presentation slides identifying the impact of the 12 Vs of Big Data, identified by final year students in Feb 2014, on its reliability and value for corporate Knowledge Management systems and processes.
- Designing Big Data Analytics Programmes for Undergraduate and Masters Students, Big Data and Analytics EdCon 2014, Las Vegas, USA, 25-26 October 2014, D Voorhis, M Trovati and R Self. See link for all presentation slides and this link for the YouTube video of this presentation.
- Gaining Value and trust in the Internet of Things and Big Data, Analytics and Big Data 2014, London, 2-3 Dec 2014, presentation slides Gaining Value and trust in the Internet of Things and Big Data
- Panel member for discussion on training and education needs to Big Data Analytics, Analytics and Big Data 2014, London, 2-3 Dec 2014
- Governance Strategies for the Cloud, Big Data and other Technologies in Education, IEEE/ACM 7th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, London, 8 Dec 2014, presentation slides Governance Strategies for the Cloud, Big Data and other Technologies in Education
- Designing Big Data Analytics Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes for Employability, SAS Global Forum 2015, Dallas, Texas, USA, 26-29 April 2015, presentation slides 3201-2015, video is here
- Using SAS® Mapping functionality to measure and present the Veracity of Location Data, SAS Global Forum 2015, Dallas, Texas, USA, 26-29 April 2015, with Vishal Patel, Daniel Corah, Viktor Horecny, presentation slides 3202-2015
- Learning Analytics to evaluate and confirm Pedagogic Choices, SAS Global Forum 2015, Dallas, Texas, USA, 26-29 April 2015, presentation slides 3203-2015
- Inspiring Undergraduates to High Achievement Levels in Big Data Analytics and Governance using SAS®, at International Journal of Arts and Sciences Multi- Disciplinary Conference, Toronto, Canada, 18-21 May 2015, presentation slides IJAS 2015 Enthusing Students,
- Workshop: Becoming a “Learning to Learn” Academic, at International Journal of Arts and Sciences Multi- Disciplinary Conference, Toronto, Canada, 18-21 May 2015, presentation slides Becoming a Learning to Learn Academic IJAS 2015, the video is here
- Data Governance and Consequences of using LBS, at Location Based Services Conference, London, UK, 2-3 June 2015, presentation slides Data Governance and Consequences of using LBS LBS 2015
- Smart Device Location Services:- A Reliable Analytics Resource?, at CORS/INFORMS Conference, Montreal, 16 June 2015, Stream TD17, presentation slides at Smart Device Location Services – A Reliable Resource – CORS INFORMS 2015, the video is here
- Workshop Chair for Developing Analytics 1 – WA17 CORS/INFORMS, Montreal, 17 June 2015
- Analytics In-Service Training – Vision 2020, at CORS/INFORMS Conference, Montreal, 17 June 2015, part of Developing Analytics 1 session, presentation slides at Analytics In-Service Training – Vision 2020 – CORS INFORMS 2015, The video is here
- Optimising student achievement in Collaborative Partnerships Presentation at University of Derby Collaborative Partners Conference, 30 June 2015, The Dome, Buxton. Presentation Slides at Optimising student achievement in Collaborative Partnerships – UoD Collab 2015 The video is here
- Students as Research Partners, University of Derby Annual Research Conference, Derby, 3 July 2015. Presentation slides at Students doing my Research
- Location Based Services Analytics: Students as Co-Producers and Partners in Research, BDA EdCon 2015, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, 11 – 14 August 2015. Slides are here, Video is here
- The Governance Impact of Big Data and the Internet of Things on the Practice of Knowledge Management in Organisations. An invited Tutorial at the 10th International Conference on Knowledge Management in Organisations, Maribor, Slovenia, 24-28 August 2015. The tutorial resources are on the linked page.
- Improving Location Accuracy with Assisted GPS, Location & Context World 2015, Palo Alto, USA, 3 Nov 2015. Slides are here
- Students Learning Software Programming: Innovative Strategies for Learning and Assessment, HEA STEM 2016, Nottingham, 29 Jan 2016. Slides are here and video is here
- Big Data and Analytics Retail Skills Gap Workshop, Big Data and Analytics Retail Summit 2016, London, 18 Feb 2016. The slides are here and the video is
- Location Services: Student Research,Staff Seminar, 2 March 2016, University of Derby. Video here and slides here
- Visualising A Career Full of Data, invited keynote address, TORCH 2016 ( see http://orchallenge.org/), University of Toronto, 19 March 2016, Slides are here and Video is here
- Assessing Undergraduate and Postgraduate Hard and Soft Skills in Analytics and Data Science Courses, SAS Global Forum 2016, Sands Convention Center, Las Vegas, 19 April 2016, see http://www.sas.com/en_us/events/sas-global-forum/sas-global-forum-2016.html, Slides are here and the video is here
- Governance of Big Data and Analytics to Gain Value from Location Services in the Retail Sector, a keynote talk at the Pan European StrategyForum Retail, held at the Crowne Plaza – Fira Centre in Barcelona, 22 April 2016. The slides are here and a rather low quality video is here
- Keynote Address: Giving Effective Academic Presentations, at International Journal of Arts and Sciences Multi- Disciplinary Conference, Toronto, Canada, May 2016. Video is here and slides are here
- Workshop: Inspiring Undergraduates to High Achievement in STEM (and other) Subjects, at International Journal of Arts and Sciences Multi- Disciplinary Conference, Toronto, Canada, May 2016. Video is here and slides are here.
- Governance of Big Data and the IoT to Gain Value for the Manufacturing Sector, Connect BI 2016, The Hennik Group, Hallam Conference Centre, London, United Kingdon W1W 6JJ, 14 June 2016. Slides are here
- IoT and Analytics Track Chair, Cloud and DevOps World 2016, 22 June 2016, Olympia, London.
- Big Data Analytics Driven Decision Making:Who makes the Decisions, Man or Machine?, Cloud and DevOps World 2016, 22 June 2016, Olympia, London. Slides here and Video here
- Learning to Program using Immersive Approaches: A Case StudyLearning SAS®, IBM Bluemix and Watson Analytics, iLRN 2016, UCSB, Santa Barbara, 27 – 30 June 2016. The video is here and the slides here
- Facilitating Soft Skill Excellence in STEM subjects Leads to Outstanding Achievements, Promoting and Enhancing a high quality student learning experience, University of Derby, Buxton, 4 July 2016. The are slides here, the video is here
- Big Data and Getting the Best out of it, Connect ERP, The Hennik Group,Reading UK, 7 July 2016. The slides (extended to include an appendix of the 12 Vs of Big Data Governance) are here and the video is here
- Scholarly Activity: Value and Opportunities, College of Engineering and Technology Away Day, 5 Sept 2016. Slides are here and video is here
- Big Data Applications: Making them Deliver Value, Software Testing North 2016, York, UK, 28 Sept 2016. Slides are here and video is here.
- Data Governance: Aligning Your Brand Values with Data Regulation and Legal Compliance, Chief Data Officer Exchange for Financial Services, IQPC Exchange, Wembley Hilton, London, 19 Oct 2016. Slides are here and the video is here
- Students Achieving Excellence without Exception: Confirmed by Learning Analytics, Communities of Academic Practice Workshop, University of Portsmouth, 12 Dec 2016. The slides are here
As part of the development of employability skills, most of my modules that I now teach involve the creation of research based articles, using the IEEE journal article template. The best of these are collected together into an e-book for each module and published on the School of Computing and Maths OJS website at http://commerce3.derby.ac.uk/ojs/.
IT Practices for Success is the first one, with two e-books which were edited by Rebecca Kestle and Jessica Crees.
The second and third ones are edited by Georgia Vicars and are here
Additional ones will follow shortly
I regularly post articles on LinkedIn which can be found on this page
Book Publishing and Contributions
Outstanding Student Achievement: A Journey of Pedagogy Informed and Confirmed by Analytics, in Developing Effective Educational Experiences through Learning Analytics, Anderson, M. and Gavan, C. (Eds), Information Science Reference ( IGI), 2016, ISBN is 978-1-4666-9983-0, http://www.igi-global.com/book/developing-effective-educational-experiences-through/141933
Tools and Technologies for the Implementation of Big Data (with D Voorhis) in Application of Big Data for National Security, B Akhgar, G B Saathoff, H R Arabnia, R Hill, S Stqaniforth and P S Bayerl (Eds), Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 2015
Jan 2014 – Book proposal review for Springer, Lesley Crane, Knowledge and Discourse Matters: a revolutionary approach to doing and thinking knowledge, date of publication not yet known
Nov 2013 – Book proposal review for Wiley, Lesley Crane, Knowledge and Discourse Matters: a revolutionary approach to doing and thinking knowledge, date of publication not yet known
Jan 2013 – chapter review “The emergence of impact investments. The case of microfinance” in SRI in the 21st Century: Does it make a Difference in Society edited by T Hebbe and C Louche, to be published April 2014, ISBN: 9781783504671, in “Socially Responsible Investment in the 21st Century Does it Make a Difference for Society?”
April 2012 – Book proposal review for Routledge (Taylor and Francis group), Kecheng Liu, Semiotics for Business Informatics, to be published Aug 2014
Additional Interests and Activities
My objective is to help all students to succeed and to be the most employable students in the market.
This results in my passionate focus on two key areas of personal development which informs all my teaching and research; self knowledge and reflection, and clarity of analysis and thinking in all that we do (critical thinking). I aim to defuse all “magic silver bullets” and to enable all my students to do the same.
A critical area for students is to develop their Employability Skills. This link provides some resources that are useful for understanding these.
Interview by East Midlands Today about congestion charging in January 2007.
Interview by SearchData Management / TechTarget on 6 November 2013 at the IBM Information on Demand conference in Las Vegas, see this link
Interviewed by SAS® at the 28 Nov 2013 SAS Careers Fair at Brunel University, UK. See time stamp 1:31 at this link
Interviewed by SAS at the SAS Analytics 2014 conference in Frankfurt on 4 June 2014, see this link on the topic of developing Analytics skills by research and creating Industry Partnerships to address the Analytics Skills gap.
Interviewed by Roberto Zicari of ODBMS on 15 Nov 2016 about Data Science, see http://www.odbms.org/2016/11/qa-with-data-scientists-richard-j-self/