I am a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Computing and Mathematics at the University of Derby.
My research interests include mathematical modelling, the science of Big Data, including data and text mining, and their applications to multi-disciplinary topics.
Department of Computing and Mathematics
University of Derby, Kedleston Road
Email: M.Trovati “at” derby.ac.uk
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in HE, Coventry University, January 2012 – June 2013.
- PhD in Mathematics, University of Exeter, January 2003 – July 2007.
- MA Single Honours in Mathematics, First Class, University of Aberdeen, September 1998 – July 2002.
- Fellow of the HEA (2013)
- Member of the British Computer Society (2014)
- Member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Distributed Systems and Technology
- Track Co-chair: Data Modelling, Visualization and Representation Tools, part of the 5th International Conference on Emerging Internetworking, Data and Web Technologies (EIDWT-2016), 2016
- Co-organiser of the Two Day Conference on Theoretical and Computational Discrete
Mathematics, University of Derby, 2016
- Organiser of the Workshop on the Applications of Big Data Analytics, in conjunction with the 13th IEEE International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing (DASC-2015)
- Organiser of the Workshop on Theory, Algorithms and Applications of Big Data Science, in conjunction with INCoS 2015, Taipei
CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT AND ACTIVITIES
- Programme leader of MSc in Big Data Analytics
- Designing and development of the MSc in Big Data Analytics
- Module leadership of UG and PG modules, and third year tutor
- Internal panel member for UG and PG validation events
- Big-Data Analytics and Cloud Computing, Theory, Algorithms and Applications, to appear in the Computer Communications and Networks, Springer, 2016
- Guide to Security Assurance for Cloud Computing, to appear in the Computer Communications and Networks, Springer, 2016
- Trovati M., Bessis N., Palmieri F., and Hill R. Extraction and Conceptualisation of Probabilistic Information: A Big Data Approach, Under Review IEEE Systems, 2015, Impact Factor 1.746
- Trovati M. and Bessis N. An Influence Assessment Method based on Co-Occurrence for Topologically Reduced Big Data Sets, Soft Computing, DOI 10.1007/s00500-015-1621-9, 2015, Impact Factor 1.304
- Trovati M. Reduced Topologically Real-World Networks: a Big-Data Approach, International Journal of Distributed Systems and Technologies (IJDST), 2015, Impact Factor 0.64 as for 2011
- Behadada O, Trovati M, Chikh M A and Bessis N. Big Data Based Extraction of Fuzzy Partition Rules for Heart Arrhythmia Detection: a Semi-Automated Approach. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, DOI: 10.1002/cpe.3428, 2014, Impact Factor 0.784
- Trovati M, Ashwin P and Byott N. Packings induced by piecewise isometries cannot contain the Arbelos. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, Volume 22:3, 2008, Impact Factor 0.923
- Trovati M and Ashwin P. Tangency properties of a pentagonal tiling generated by a piecewise isometry, Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science, 17:4, 2007, Impact Factor 2.188
- Trovati M. An Overview of Some Theoretical Topological Aspects of Big Data,
Big-Data Analytics and Cloud Computing, Theory, Algorithms and Applications,
Computer Communications and Networks, Springer, 2016
- Trovati M. Extraction of Bayesian Networks from Large Unstructured Datasets,
Big-Data Analytics and Cloud Computing, Theory, Algorithms and Applications, Computer Communications and Networks, Springer, 2016
- Johnson A, Holmes P, Craske L, Trovati M, Bessis N, and Larcombe P, Two Case
Studies based on Large Unstructured Sets, Computer Communications and Networks, Springer, 2016
- Trovati M. Mining Social Media: Architecture, Tools and Approaches to Detect Criminal Activity, Application of Big Data for National Security, 1st Edition, 2015
Conference and Workshop Articles
- Johnson A, Holmes P, Craske L, Trovati M, Bessis N and Larcombe P. A Computational Objectivity in Depression Assessment for Unstructured Large Datasets,
Proceedings of IBDS-2015, 2015
- Whittington N, Liu L, Yuan B, and Trovati M. Investigation of Energy Efficiency
on Cloud Computing, Proceedings of IBDS-2015, 2015
- Trovati M, Trovati J, Larcombe P, and Lu L. A Semi-Automated Assessment of the
Direction of Influence Relations from Semantic Networks: A Case Study in Maths
Anxiety, Proceedings of IBDS-2015, 2015
- Hardy J, Lu L, and Trovati M. Reducing vehicular traffic congestion using available
forward road capacity detection, Proceedings of IBDS-2015, 2015
- Trovati M, Hill R, Bessis N. A Non-Genuine Message Detection Method based on
Unstructured datasets, Proceedings of CIDM-2015, 2015
- Omosebi O, Sotiriadis S, Asimakopoulou E, Bessis N, Trovati M, Hill R. Monitoring
Live Big Data for Disaster Management, Proceedings of CIDM-2015, 2015
- Udeagwu C, Sotiriadis S, Asimakopoulou E, Bessis N, Trovati M. Analysis of Tech-
niques for Visualizing Security Risks and Threats, Proceedings of CIDM-2015, 2015
- Trovati M, Asimakopoulou E, Bessis N. Topology Reduction and Probabilistic Information Extraction for Large Data-Sets: A Disaster Management Case Study, Proceedings of ICT-DM’2015, 2015
- Trovati M, Larcombe P, Bessis N, Some Novel Mathematical Algorithms for Concepts and Relations Extraction from Big Data, IMA Conference on the Mathematical Challenges of Big Data, 2014
- Voorhis D, Trovati M, Self R, Designing Big Data Analytics Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes for Employability, IBM Big Data and Analytics Educational Conference 2014
- Trovati M, Bessis N and Asimakopoulou E. An Analytical Tool to Map Big Data to Networks with Reduced Topologies. Proceedings of INCoS 2014, pp: 411 – 414, 2014.
- Trovati M, Bessis N, Huber A, Zelenkauskaite A and Asimakopoulou E. Extraction, Identification, and Ranking of Network Structures from Data Sets. Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS), pages 331 – 337, 2014.
- Trovati M and Brady J. Towards an Automated Approach to Extract and Compare Fictional Networks: An Initial Evaluation. Proceedings of DEXA’14 Workshops, 2014
- Trovati M and Bagdasar O. Influence Discovery in Semantic Networks: An Initial Approach UKSIM ’14 Proceedings of the 2014 UKSim-AMSS 16th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation, pages 154-158, 2014
- McCloskey D J, Trovati M, and Zimmer C, Using a Dynamically-Generated Content-Level Newsworthiness Rating to Provide Content Recommendations. US 8,386,457 B2, 2013.